|PURCHASING MY CAR||BRINGING MY CAR HOME||PLANNING RESTORATION||REPAINTING|
|NEW WHEELS||NEW BOILER AND BURNER||FINDING PARTS||LINKS|
My model 63 originally used 32 x 3 1/2 clincher tires since 32 x 3 1/2 tires are very hard to find now I will be using 33 x 4 tires. These tires go on a 25 inch rim.
I looked for original wheels this size and was not able to find any. I was advised that if I planned to do touring with my car it was probably a good idea to buy new wheels as 100 year old wheels may have metal fatigue and other weaknesses and could be danerous.
I researched what rim design would be best for my car. I found that my car probably came with clincher rims but it was recommended to be by people who toured with their Stanleys alot that I would probably be happier with a removeable but not detachable rim. Detachable means a type of rim where part of the rim can be removed to slide the tire on and off more easily. A removeable rim is a type of wheel where the rim can be removed from the wheel with the tire attached. A clincher rim is a type of rim that has a different shape where the tire hooks to the rim.
After researching new rims, I ended up finding a good deal from Alan Kelso who had a new set of 25 inch clincher rims which I bought.
To have my rims made into wheels, I also needed to have the appropriate front and back hubs for my car. The correct rear hubs came with my car but the front hubs that came with the care were modified Ford Model T hubs. I had Alan Kelso make me a new set of front hubs. He purchased the appropriate hub castings from John Goold in England. Alan machined the rough casting to the correct dimensions.
Next I sent my rims and hubs to Calimer's Wheel Shop where felloes and wood spokes were made from hickory and fitted into my wheels. Then the hubs were attached to the wheels.
The wheels came with the wood unfinished. The next step is to paint the wheels.
Here I am painting a coat of epoxy paint onto the wheels. I used the same epoxy paint as I used on the body. I applied three coats of epoxy paint to the wheels. April 2007
Here are the wheels getting their primer coat in my shop. I decided to take my wheels to a professional paint shop for the final color coat. I was concerned about my shop not having the correct kind of air filters for capturing the VOCs from spray painting and releasing to much VOCs into the atmosphere. Also. I wanted to end up with a beautiful finish. After all the hours I spent getting the wheels primed and sanded, I did not want to do a poor job with my amateur painting skills. Here are the finished wheels coming home October 2009.
I had troubles finding the correct sized tires for my 25 inch clincher rims. I ended up purchasing 810 x 90 tires from Universal Vintage Tire Company. I got The Waymaster Cord beaded edge tires. I used 25 x 4 inch flaps and a 31-34 x 4 brass stem inner tube.
I had quite a time installing the tires on the rims. I quickly learned I wanted to install the tires without having my tire irons touch the rims as anyplace the tools touched the rim they damaged the paint. I found a heavy bent iron tool that I could insert carefully into the tire and push it into place. Also using a rubber mallet helped in places. I learned to mount my tires without chipping the paint on my rims. I sure worked hard and sweated to mount the tires. By the fourth tire I could mount one in 25 minutes.
|HOME||Visits : 40570|